Monday, January 11, 2010

Random Thoughs, Random Reading During Summer Break

It's bored here back at my hometown... I mean, I am so bored now, I am literally blogging about what I am thinking!
I was thinking "Hey, since I am free, why don't I blog more, expand my network, get more people to read my blog?"
Problem is... I got nothing to blog about! >.<
No one wants to see me blog about how bored am I, right?

...

Oh, I am blogging about how bored I am right now, lol. Bear with me a bit.

Those close friends who were here for their holidays, most of them had already gone back to their studies. Other friends, working. Plus there aren't many places in Bintulu to hang out anyway. Go Miri? The Emo Kids there are working as well.

Good thing is, save money! Last trip down to Miri really burnt my wallet, pocket and half of my pants.
Also losing quite some weight because no more breakfast or high tea or supper with friends. A good thing.

Well, picked up some of my old hobbies nowadays, like taking long naps and reading.
Not gonna blog about my long naps here, just the reading.

Came across two good books during this summer break:
Let the Right One In, by John Ajvide Lindqvist
and
The Magicians, by Lev Grossman

The book cover for Let the Right One In

Let the Right One In, by John Ajvide Lindqvist, is originally not written in the English language.
The book I read is actually an English translated version, translated from the Swedish language.
The content of the book is so good, it was translated into many other languages. I even saw a Korean version in the bookstore.
Not just that, it was made into a movie as well!
The plot is good, clear and concise, with minor branching from the main story line.
The author manage to put the plot in such a way, there is no dull moment and full of suspense.
However, the overall story lacks description and people theory. The book focus mainly on the plot and story line.
Oh, and the most important part... It is about dark, medieval and vampiric stuff, the stuff I like most in a book.
Not going to say anything bout the story here, go read yourself. Warning thou, not for the faint of heart.

Knowing myself, I am a big fan of vampire stories, thus I simply love this book. I finished nearly all the popular best selling vampire book (including the four Twilight series, finished em last summer break), except the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. The story line by Anne Rice is way too long and the book is as thick as an Amazonian native tree. I think the book actually took up that much wood.


The book cover for The Magicians

Ok, this book is very very unique. It actually combines the worlds from Harry Potter, a bit of Lord of The Rings and Chronicles of Narnia.
The essence of this book, I can say, is the opposite of Let the Right One In.
The plot is messy, confusing and branches out a lot. Those who has short term memory lost simply cannot keep up with the changes in the plot.
However, I consider it a plus for the unique plot set up as at the end of the book, everything falls into place and the author really put a lot of thought to make the irrelevant side-plots turn out important.
Besides that, this book is less narrative and actually more descriptive. Unlike most books, especially Lord of The Rings, which focuses a lot on the environment set up and description, this book actually focuses a lot on each and every character, including those who only appear in a page.
The author describes in minute detail on the personality, mood swings, the thoughts, motives, even the history of every single character. And that, for me is really unique.
Going to try to get Lev Grossman's other book, CODEX. I like his writing style, a lot!

I hope I don't bore you guys with this post. For those who likes reading as much as I do, these two books are highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment