Monday, February 15, 2010

Reunion Dinner & Chinese New Year Part 1

Hoho! The big day has finally arrived! Happy Tiger Year! Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Before anything else, please allow me to share with you this awesome video:



This video sure brings up the Chinese New Year mood, yes? :P

Okay, enough jokes and let's get going with the Reunion Dinner!

The Reunion Dinner for Chinese New Year happens on the evening before the 1st day of the Chinese New year.
It is a time when all family members from all over the world gather, usually at the grandparents' place, chit chat and catch up on the year's happenings.

Chinese traditional red firecrackers, usually used before the Reunion Dinner

However, for my family, ever since my second uncle died from heart failure, we hadn't had a Reunion Dinner at my grandparents' place.
So, like the previous years, our small family of four make our own Reunion Dinner, here at Bintulu.

Onions, garlic and stuff for cooking

Guess what this is!

My mum in action (of course I helped out)

I helped out my mum in the kitchen during the afternoon. Didn't get to go into action myself as my mum is way too pro already. Just can help accompany my mum, do some dishes and prepare the materials.

Simply love her cooking! Can beat any restaurant in the region!

Called Chang Shou Mian, if direct translation means Long Life Noodle

The spread! I simply love my mum's cooking

The cold dish

Cod fish slice with a dab of extra virgin olive oil, really like this (I teach my mum how to do this 1 :P)

If you haven't guessed what this is yet, this is how it looks when served
.
...
.....
.......
It's Sea Cucumber! A really large one, too! A gift from my dad's friend

Desert was just a simple combination of longan with sea coconut in syrup.
Simple but heavenly!

Will post up part 2 when I got more pics of Chinese New Year here at Bintulu!

No comments:

Post a Comment